The scores from the judging were incredibly close and the results held some surprises for me. The top spot taken by The Half Pounder and The Beard of Zeus was no surprise, but the high marks received by the Saison du Cornwall and the Beast of Burden were a bit unexpected. The extreme and unusual beers seemed to steal the show leaving the drinking beers behind. The following is the full list after all the points were tallied. Thanks to everyone who came out to this event and gave me great feedback on the beers, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone next time.
Basement Breweries Tasting Scores (ascending order)
9th Place - Overcast Island Ale 162 points
sample comments - Great all around beer. Love the "California Common"
and hops style
- Sweet apple
- Tad on the sweet side
8th Place - Rye Revival Roggenbier 165 points
sample comments - Like a whisky shot, strong at 1st and then good earthy
- Lacking in punch and flavour. I'd go for more rye malt
- Nice crisp finish
7th Place - The Harvester Belgian Saison 166 points
sample comments - Early pm sunny day brew, champagne like. I could
drink a lot of this
- Surprised (happily) Nice clean finish
- Could drink all day
5th Place (Tie) - Woodsplitter Espresso Stout 169 points
sample comments - The roasted flavours really jump out
- I'd go easier on the espresso, but not much.
- Such great palette impact with not much alcohol
5th Place (Tie) - Frontiersman Pale Ale 169 points
sample comments - Great hop flavour. Totally drinkable for 6.4%. Nice body
- Excellent Pale Ale. Not my favourite style but this is
good, right hops/malt balance
- Nice homage to Cascadia
4th place - Saison du Cornwall 172 points
sample comments - Peppery. I can taste the herbs, awesome refreshment
- I like the herb/spice, but a bit less would be nice
- Tasty, but couldn't drink a whole pint
3rd place - Beast of Burden Brown Porter 178 points
sample comments - I really love this style. Does anyone do a commercial
offering? Bonus points for doing this style
- Not into the licorice taste so much
- Like rich flavours of homemade candy, carmelised
1st place (Tie) - The Half Pounder 190 points
sample comments - Gorgeous floral nose; nice and sharp on tongue;
- Oh my God!! Like a casked double IPA. Hoppy!
- This is excellent. Fully competitive with commercial
1st place (Tie) - The Beard of Zeus Imperial Stout 190 points
sample comments - Zounds, I feel the thunder!
- Big, thick n' chewy. Think it needs a tad more hops
- Great evening beer
Check in with Basement Breweries again soon when I'll post my personal tasting notes for these beers and my plans for recipe changes based on this and all the awesome feedback from the shindig.