Sunday, October 23, 2011

Belgian IPA Step Three - The Blend

Probably one of the best ever brew days today, and no brewing was actually done, blending rather was the order of the day. With the help of my two somewhat capable assistants Arlo and Dave, my Belgian Tripel and India Pale Ale were blended to create a Belgian IPA.

Before we could blend I wanted to taste mixtures based on different proportions of the two beers. Before we could do that there were infinite calculations to be made (In a rigorous and scientific manner of course). We had to figure out what the proportions would be, how we would mix them, how we would sample them, etc. With the help of Dave's impressive coding technique (which Im fairly sure didn't mix up the samples) we were able to try the mixtures without knowing which we were tasting. Then with the help of Arlo's tastebuds we tried each of the beers, eliminating them one by one before deciding on the right mixture to bottle with. With the IPA over 7% and the Tripel over 10%, it was fairly grueling work, but I am confident we picked the right blend that ended up being heavier on the Belgian component. Not to be left out Dave was given all the sample leftovers, mixed together in a pint glass for his own refreshment. He seemed very satisfied. Check out the photo gallery below of all our blending exploits.














4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm fancy that, you testing these Uncharted waters. ;D I'm excited to see how it turns out. If you need another photographer or a small set of hands next time, do let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude... that... Houblon... or whatever the Hell it's called, that you kept asking me about, I ordered it! It's been made available in BC! Now whether or not it actually comes in I don't know.
    But I'll keep it up.
    PS. I like the plugging of a local brewpub.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice man, hopefully it comes in. Its actually on tap right now at Clive's if you didn't already know.

    Im happy to plug Moon Under Water, they make good beer and food and more people should get down there and check them out.
    BB

    ReplyDelete